Monday, October 31, 2011

Corpses, Amebas, and Swimmy Things

On October 21, 2011, a single food pellet (Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%) was added to my micro aquarium.
The following images were taken last Friday, October 28, 2011.

Below is the corpse of a cyclops that I was not away was present in my tank before I notices it's poor body. If you look carefully you can see several small  organism, too small to be easily identified by the camera.
 The Next image is of a Diffulgia sp., an amebic organism that was moving slowly in the middle of the tank.
The next image is of one of the large number of Vorticella sp. that could be found all over my tank, especially latched to the plants around my organism.
 The next picture is of one of few Tachysoma sp. swimming lightly through my tank. Notice the large vacuole (The white spot near the top left of the organism), which is a major identifier of the genus.


Though there were a large number of of other organism present in my tank I was unable to capture photographs of the organisms,



Rains, KG, Russell, BJ. 1996. Guide to microlife. Croller Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment