Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Small Circular Things Take a Wild Swirly Adventure

Though I was unable to gather any photographs or video, this past week I tallied the amount of microscopic life forms present in my aquarium.

The largest creature in my aquarium was a single species of some sort of Amphipoda, or some sort of Sea Shrimp (Rains 1996). This adorable little shrimp used his microscopic claws to spin himself in a wild circular motion around a single point in the aquarium for the entire time I chose to observe him.

I saw at least 5 specimen of  Chlorophyta (Rains 1996). These small green, flagellated organisms whipped around my small field of vision, especially around the low muddy substance near the plants. Nearby were several small clean organisms that were not large enough to be identifiable under the 10x objective.

The only other microscopic organisms I was able to notice were two Distigmata (Rains 1996). These typically haunted the very corners of the tank and also had an affinity for circular swimming by means of flagella.

Searched though I did I was unable to identify any other organism withing my  aquarium. I believe Herbert has succumbed to the pressures of Aquarium life and decided that Not To Be was the answer to the question.  Next week my organisms will be fed, therefore I will have plenty of activity in my small ecosystem balanced between the glass.


Rains, KG, Russell, BJ. 1996. Guide to microlife. Croller Publishing
 

No comments:

Post a Comment